Guest service agent are looking for a SUPER STAR personality to help build Atlantic Canada’s Premier Destination Resort. Are they the one?
What is Guest service agent?
A front-line employee within the hospitality industry, the guest service agent is tasked with delivering exceptional customer service to patrons. While their primary domain is typically within hotels, these professionals can also be found in various other lodging establishments, including resorts, bed and breakfasts, and vacation rentals.
The precise responsibilities of a guest service agent may vary based on the size and type of the establishment they work in. Nevertheless, their core duties often encompass:
- Warmly welcoming and facilitating the check-in process for guests.
- Providing information regarding hotel amenities and services, responding to guest inquiries.
- Effectively managing guest complaints and resolving any issues that may arise.
- Handling payment processing and bill management.
- Collaborating with housekeeping, porters, and other staff to ensure all guest needs are promptly addressed.
- Offering guidance and recommendations about local attractions and dining options.
Guest service agents must possess exceptional communication and interpersonal skills. They must be capable of managing multiple tasks concurrently and tackling challenges calmly and efficiently. Additionally, they should thrive under pressure and be adaptable to various work shifts, including weekends and holidays.
The qualifications required to become a guest service agent can vary, but most employers generally mandate a high school diploma or its equivalent, along with some prior experience in customer service. Proficiency in computer applications such as Microsoft Office may also be a requirement for certain positions.
For those aspiring to pursue a career as a guest service agent, the following steps can be taken to prepare:
- Obtain a high school diploma or equivalent qualification.
- Gain experience in customer service, whether through volunteer work or part-time employment.
- Familiarize yourself with the hospitality industry and the specific responsibilities of a guest service agent.
- Develop strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Hone your ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently and resolve issues calmly and effectively.
- Be open to working various shifts, including weekends and holidays.
A career as a guest service agent offers the opportunity to interact with individuals from diverse backgrounds and assist them in making the most of their accommodations.
It also provides valuable insights into the hospitality sector and equips professionals with transferable skills applicable to various industries.
Scope And General Purpose of Guest Service Agent
The individual in this role greets and registers guests, provides prompt and courteous service, and closes out guest accounts upon completion of their stay to meet Old Orchard Inn’s high standards of quality.
Main Duties of Guest Service Agent
- Demonstrates a positive and proactive attitude and is committed to providing exceptional guest care through the use of initiative and empowered decision-making.
- Checks in/checks out guests in a friendly and professional manner, ensuring accuracy of all information and billing.
- Greets customers immediately with a friendly and sincere welcome. Uses a positive and clear speaking voice, listens to and understands requests, responds with appropriate action, and provides accurate information such as outlet hours and local attractions.
- Completes the registration process by inputting and retrieving information from a computer system, confirming pertinent information, including the number of guests and room rate. Promotes Holloway and brand marketing programs. Makes appropriate selections of rooms based on guest needs. Codes electronic keys. Non-verbally confirms the room number and rate. Provides welcome folders containing room keys, certificates, coupons, and refreshment center keys as appropriate.
- Verifies and imprints credit cards for authorization using electronic acceptance methods. Handles cash, makes change, and balances an assigned house bank. Accepts and records vouchers, traveler’s checks, and other forms of payment. Converts foreign currency at current posted rates. Posts charges to guest rooms and house accounts using the computer.
- Promptly answers the telephone using positive and clear communication. Inputs messages into the computer. Retrieves messages and communicates the content to the guest. Retrieves mail, small packages, and facsimiles for customers as requested.
- Carries out all Guest Services and cashiering duties, achieving accuracy and a logical work sequence.
- Closes guest accounts at the time of check-out and ascertains satisfaction. In the event of dissatisfaction, negotiates compromises, which may include authorizing revenue allowances.
- Fields guest complaints, conducts thorough research to develop the most effective solutions, and negotiates results. Listens and extends assistance to resolve problems such as price conflicts, insufficient heating or air conditioning, etc. Remains calm and alert, especially during emergency situations and heavy hotel activity. Plans and implements detailed steps using experienced judgment and discretion.
- Promptly answers the switchboard in a friendly, caring, and courteous manner, ensuring messages are recorded and promptly passed on or voicemail explained/utilized in line with property and company policy.
- Is skilled in taking reservations and understands and applies yield management principles and selling techniques to maximize Revenue Per Available Room and contribute to achieving or exceeding the department budget.
- Is competent in using the computer in line with laid-down procedures.
- Liaises with Housekeeping and Maintenance regarding the availability of rooms to contribute to the smooth running of the property and the satisfaction of guests.
- Sends faxes, makes photocopies, etc., as required by the guest, ensuring correct charging for all business services.
- Is alert to/responds to guest needs, ensuring special requests are dealt with or channeled through to the appropriate department with documentation and follow-up, as required, to contribute to the development of customer loyalty.
- Carries out security checks of the lobby (or liaises with security as appropriate) to ensure property and employee safety following procedures laid down by property policy.
- Ensures full completion of all duties relating to the shift and a concise handover to assist the smooth running of the property, effective teamwork, and guest satisfaction.
- Complies with attendance rules and is available to work on a regular basis.
- Performs any other job-related duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities That Will Enable You to work as Guest Service Agent:
- The individual in this role must have the ability to communicate in English. They possess a self-starting personality with an even disposition, maintaining a professional appearance and manner at all times.
- They can communicate well with guests and are willing to “pitch in” and help co-workers with their job duties, being a team player.
- They have considerable skill in the use of a calculator to prepare moderately complex mathematical calculations without error.
- They have the ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact, and diplomacy to defuse anger, collect accurate information, and resolve conflicts.
- They have the ability to stand and move throughout the front office and continuously perform essential job functions.
- They can access and accurately input information using a moderately complex computer system. They have the ability to observe and detect signs of emergency situations.
- They have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, customers, and patrons.
General Staffs Responsibilities
- Adhere to all matters relating to hygiene, health, safety, and emergency procedures as laid down by law and by company policy.
- Carry out any reasonable request.
- Provide exceptional customer service with positive addressing of guest concerns/complaints in line with company policy.
- Work and communicate in a professional and ethical manner with colleagues, assisting where necessary to achieve standards required by company policy.
- Be committed to achieving the company, property, and department Mission Statements.
- Act as a “sales person” by actively promoting property facilities and company/property-specific promotions to contribute to overall profitability.
- Assist with team member orientation/training within the department as required by company policy.
- Maintain standards of punctuality, uniform/dress code as appropriate to position, and personal hygiene as required by property and company policy.
- Be aware of and comply with company and house rules.
- Contribute to energy conservation and ensure safe usage/storage of all materials/equipment/chemicals as per manufacturers’ instructions.
- Attend meetings as requested and recognize the importance of contributing new ideas and initiative to the overall success of the operation.
- Assist with cleaning duties to maintain a clean and well-organized work area in line with property policy.
- Adhere to the Property Crisis Communication Plan to ensure that inquiries from the media are responded to by the nominated spokesperson in line with company policy.
- Contribute to the security of the building, company assets, and guest/co-worker safety with full adherence to security procedures, with proper handling of keys/cash as appropriate to the position following procedures laid down by company policy.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $16.00 per hour
Benefits of Guest Service Agent
Company events Dental care Disability insurance Discounted or free food Employee assistance program Extended health care Life insurance On-site gym On-site parking Store discount Vision care Flexible Language Requirement:
French not required Schedule:
8-hour shift Day shift Evening shift Holidays Monday to Friday Morning shift On call Weekend availability Supplemental pay types:
Overtime pay Ability to commute/relocate:
Wolfville Ridge, NS: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required) Education:
Secondary School (preferred) Work
Location: In person